Nora's Question: I recently left my husband of 7 years and moved in with my parents. I have been the primary care giver of our 5 year old son. What do I do to file for sole custody? Also, what can I do to enroll my son in the school district by my parents' house?

Brette's Answer: File a petition in family court for custody. You want a temporary order, so be sure to ask for that when you file. To enroll in school, you need to call the district as soon as they are open and find out what their procedure is.

※ Can I file for temporary custody if he's had our child for 10 years?
Bobbi's Question: My husband kicked me out ten years ago and took our daughter, who was only 10 mos. old at the time. That is the last I have seen of either one of them. Due to him moving so much, I was unable to keep in contact with my daughter. I want to file for a divorce now, and I am wondering if I can file for temporary custody and retrieve my child should I be able to find their location. We have been separated for 10 years.

Brette's Answer: You can file, but it's very unlikely you would be granted temporary custody after such a long time apart. Most courts would want to reintroduce you to each other slowly since she will have no memory of you. I suggest you get an attorney to help you with this.
다른 글 열람하기
Can I Get A Legal Separation In Texas? 07-17
Informal Separations 07-17
Separating Financial Affairs While Still Married 07-16
Preparing For A Divorce & Get all Your paperwork Together 07-16
Understand Your Financial Situation 07-16
Become Financially Solvent 07-15
Make Sure You Can Provide For Yourself 07-08
Seek Legal Advice & Make Sure That Taxes Are Up To Date 07-04
Consider Insurance Coverage 07-02
Pendente Lite Relief or Temporary Support 07-01
Isn't he required to provide for us until the divorce is over? 06-29
Topic: Making Ends Meet until the Divorce is Finalized 06-26
Topic: Filing for temporary support without a lawyer 06-22
Can I file for emergency support if there's a DV order in place? 06-21
Topic: Can I stop him from transferring property? 06-20
Topic: Joint Accounts Pending Divorce 06-19
What if he didn't pay the mortgage payments like he was ordered to? 06-18
Temporary Child Custody 06-17
Preventing Parental Kidnapping 06-17
What if he kicked me out and wouldn't let me take my son? 06-16
How do I file for custody if I haven't filed for a divorce yet? 06-15
Who is usually granted temporary custody? 06-14
Can I get temporary custody without him knowing about it? 06-09
What is the process to get temporary child custody? 06-13
Can temporary custody be changed if he becomes homeless? 06-12
Do temporary custody orders and parenting plans expire? 06-12
What if he lied to get temporary custody? 06-10
Topic: Interference with Custody and Visitation 06-10
How can he claim that he has temporary child custody? 06-09
When does he have to return her after I get temporary custody? 06-09